Veterinary Science focuses on the study of animals and birds in detail. Bachelor of Veterinary Science deals with curing, treating as well as studying the various diseases occurring in animals and birds. Thus, under the course of Bachelor in Veterinary Science, one needs to study the anatomy, physiology and biochemistry of the animals in detail. After that courses in microbiology, pathology, parasitology, pharmacology, veterinary medicine, surgery, gynaecology and other related courses can be studied. Other important courses are related to livestock management, dairy science, poultry science, goatery, piggery, rabbitry, animal nutrition,veterinary public health and livestock product technology. The courses also include training in veterinary hospitals, different farms and dairy plants.
- As the world is progressing so fast, people are becoming more and more concerned about the health, welfare and well being of pets and other animals
- Number of people keeping pets, aviaries and farm houses are also on the rise
- They are considering their pets as family members and are ready to spend any amount of money and time for relieving the pain or illness of their pets
- So veterinary diagnosis and treatment have witnessed tremendous developments in the last few decades
- Modern procedures like echocardiography, endoscopy,laparoscopic surgeries, ophthalmic surgeries,haemodialysis, CT scan, MRI, heart and brain surgeries, joint replacement surgeries, etc are routinely used for animals also.
- As the human population is increasing, and financial status and purchasing power of the people are becoming better, ever rising demand for the foods of animal origin like meat, milk and egg has lead to the steep rise in number of dairy(cattle and buffalo), poultry (chicken, duck and quail), sheep, goat ,rabbit and pig farms,milk and meat processing units
- The awareness for safe food free of adulterants,antibiotics and pesticides has led to many people keeping cows,goats and poultry in their households
- Diseases transmitted from animals and birds(zoonotic diseases) like nipah virus infection, bird flu, leptospirosis, rabies, brucellosis, tuberculosis, monkey fever(kfd), japanese encephalitis ,mad cow disease, anthrax, swine influenza, toxoplasmosis, rat bite fever, q fever, salmonellosis, campylobacteriosis and many other diseases are becoming major public health concern
- Only if we can control these diseases in animals, their spread to humans can be prevented
- That’s why one health concept for optimal health for people,animals and our environment is becoming more popular
- All these factors demand service of increased numbers of veterinarians in future
If you are really interested
- To learn more about animals and birds
- To care and relieve the pain and sufferings of the animals
- To help and support millions of poor livestock and poultry farmers
- To support the nation by producing enough meat,milk and egg
- To improve the mental health of the society by taking care of pet animals and birds
- To protect the wildlife and to maintain the balance of ecosystem
- To protect the mankind from very dangerous zoonotic diseases like rabies,bird flu, anthrax,leptospirosis,salmonellosis,brucellosis etc
- To have a very interesting and well paid career accepted throughout the world with a lot of respect from the society
Then you can choose veterinary science as your career
Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry: BVSc&AH(5 1/2year (Duration of course- four and half year course and one year compulsory internship)
After BVSc, they can pursue MSc Vet, MVSc, PhD Courses.
Master of Science Courses after B.V.Sc (MSc Courses)
- Master of Science in Veterinary Anatomy & Histology
- Master of Science in Veterinary Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Master of Science in Veterinary Medicine
- Master of Science in Veterinary Microbiology
- Master of Science in Veterinary Parasitology
- Master of Science in Veterinary Pathology
- Master of Science in Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
- Master of Science in Veterinary Physiology
- Master of Science in Veterinary Public Health
- Master of Science in Veterinary Surgery and Radiology
- MSc is offered in a few more subjects also.
Master of Veterinary Science Courses after B.V.Sc (MVsc Courses)
- Master of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry
Master of Veterinary Science in Animal Biotechnology
- Master of Veterinary Science in Animal Genetics and Breeding
- Master of Veterinary Science in Biostatistics
- Master of Veterinary Science in Epidemiology
- Master of Veterinary Science in Extension Education
- Master of Veterinary Science in Livestock Economics
- Master of Veterinary Science in Livestock Production & Management
- Master of Veterinary Science in Livestock Products Technology
- Master of Veterinary Science in Poultry Science
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Anatomy
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Animal Breeding & Genetics
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Animal Reproduction Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Bacteriology
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Biochemistry
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Immunology
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Pathology
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Physiology
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Physiology & Biochemistry
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Preventive Medicine
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Public Health
- Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary Virology
- Master of Veterinary Science in Wildlife
- MVsc is offered in few more subjects in various universities
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Veterinary Medicine
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Veterinary Pathology
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
PhD is offered in all subjects of masters degree in different universities
Regular Programmes Offered For 10+2 Qualified Candidates
- B.Tech (Dairy Technology)
- B.Tech(Food Technology)
- B.Sc ( Poultry Production And Business Management )
- B.V.SC & A.H
- Diploma In Dairy Science
- Diploma In Feed Technology
- Diploma Laboratory Techniques
- Diploma Poultry Production
Regular Programmes Offered for candidates Qualified B.V.SC. & A.H
- M.V.SC. IN 20 disciplines.
Regular Programmes Offered For Candidates Qualified B,Tech (DT)
- M.Tech (Dairy Chemistry)
- M.Tech (Dairy Microbiology)
- M.Tech (Dairy Technology)
Regular programmes offered for Graduates
- M.Sc. – Animal Biotechnology
- M.Sc. – Animal Sciences
- M.Sc.- Applied Microbiology
- M.Sc – Biochemistry And Molecular Biology
- M.Sc. – Biostatistics
- M.Sc. – Quality Control In Dairy Industry
- M.S. – Wildlife Studies
Post Graduate Diploma Programmes Offered For Graduates
- P.G Diploma In Climate Services In Animal Agriculture
- P.G.Diploma In Climate Services
- P.G.Diploma In Veterinary Anaesthesia
- P.G.Diploma In Veterinary Cardiology
Programmes Offered For PG Holders
- PhD Programmes In Dairy Sciences And Technology
- PhD Programmes In Veterinary And Animal Sciences
- Phd Programme In Climate Change In Animal Agriculture
- Phd Programmes In Biosciences
Distance Education Courses From Veterinary University (Technology Enabled)
- PG Diploma in Livestock-agri Entrepreneurship And Food Safety And Security Management
- PG Diploma in Ethnopharmacology
- PG Diploma in One Health
- PG Diploma in Informatics And Management
- PG Diploma in Toxicologic Pathology
- PG Diploma in Food Safety And Quality Assurance
- PG Diploma in Therapeutic Management Of Infectious Diseases Of Pet Animal And Pet Birds
- PG Diploma in Dairy Entrepreneurship
- PG Diploma in Poultry Entrepreneurship
- Diploma in Integrated Farming System
- Diploma in Dairy Entrepreneurship
- Diploma in Poultry Entrepreneurship
- PG Certificate Programme In Farm Journalism
- PG Certificate In One Health Surveillance
- Postgraduate Certificate Course In Veterinary Homeopathy
- Postgraduate Certificate In Community Based Disaster Management
Required Skills and Aptitude
The skills and aptitudes required for a career in the SCM field include the following:
- Adaptability to new techniques and changes
- Analytical skills
- Communication skill
- Decision making skills
- Geographical skills
- Leadership skills
- Numerical skills
Required Skills and Aptitude
Those seeking to make a successful career as a veterinarian or a relevant job profile in veterinary science must have the following skills:
- Love For Animals
- Manual Dexterity
- Problem Solving
BVSc & AH:
- Candidate must have passed 10+2 examination with minimum 50% marks from any recognized board of education or its equivalent qualification
- Candidates must have studied Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English as the main subject in their qualifying exam.
- Must have a valid score in the concerned entrance exam.
15% AIQ BVSc seats filing through based NEET Rank by Veterinary Council of India
MSc Vet or MVSc: BVsc
PhD: MVSc/MSc Vet
The selection of the candidate for B.V.Sc may vary from one institute to another. But in most of the colleges, the admissions to B.V.Sc course is done on the basis of NEET Entrance Exam (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test) scores. However, some states and private institutes conducted their own entrance exam for admission.
Some of the popular exams are as follows:
- Assam Agricultural University Veterinary Entrance Test (AAU VET)
- Banaras Hindu University Entrance Test (BHU UET)
- Rajasthan Pre Veterinary Test (RPVT)
- UP Veterinary Entrance Exam
15% AIQ BVSc seats filing through based NEET Rank by Veterinary Council of India
Veterinary science and animal husbandry experts have got many roles to play.
1,Disease diagnosis and treatment of all animals and birds
2.Production of food of animal origin including milk,meat and egg.
3.Control of zoonotic diseases
Job opportunities includes:
- As nutritionist in animals/birds feed manufacturing companies
- Central govt also recruits specialists to research institutes
- Food safety officer
- In animal birth control projects for control of rabies by government and NGOs
- In banks and insurance companies
- In dairy farms,poultry,goat,sheep and buffalo farms
- In indian army(remount veterinary corps-rvc)and other paramilitary forces like BSF, CRPF, ITBP, SSB, CISF, RPF, Police Dog Squad
- In Pharmaceutical industry and in vaccine production centres
- In public sector undertakings like kerala livestock development board,meat products of india, kerala state poultry development corporation, kerala feeds,milma
- Meat inspection in slaughterhouses and in corporation,
- Meat processing plants and slaughterhouses
- Private veterinary hospitals,pet clinics,
- Race clubs,stud farms
- Teaching and research in veterinary universities,
- Veterinary surgeons in state animal husbandry department,
- Zoo, forest department, wildlife/bird sanctuaries
The students with BVSc degree are generally offered jobs in various zoological gardens, natural reserves like national parks and wildlife sanctuaries, various animal husbandry farms like dairy and poultry farms, veterinary hospitals, and government departments for animal care.
In developed countries like USA, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand,there are opportunities in research,teaching ,industry and in clinical practice.
In the Middle East, there are very big dairy and poultry farms like Al Marai, Alsafi, Nadec, Al Wataniyya, Adc, Arasco, Supreme Foods, Naif, Kupco etc. who recruit a lot of veterinarians.
Some of the recruiters are:
- Animals and birds feed manufacturing units
- Dairy plants
- Environmental department
- Equine hospitals,stud farms and racing clubs
- Falcon hospitals
- Farm clinics
- Goat, sheep, camel, falcon and houbara rearing centres.
- Meat inspection wing of municipalities
- Medical niversities (research assistant and research associate)
- Mixed farms owned by individuals
- Pet clinics
- Pharmaceutical companies and veterinary pharmacies (managers)
- Quarantine officers in airport and seaport
- Slaughterhouses and meat processing units
- Veterinary colleges like the one in King Faisal University,Saudi Arabia (teaching and research)
- Zoo vet
In all countries there are animal health departments under government recruiting specialists like epidemiologist, avian disease specialist, pathologist, parasitologist, virologist, bacteriologist, etc.
There are 47 veterinary colleges approved by the veterinary council of india(VCI).
In these colleges 15% of seats are directly filled by VCI based on NEET merit list.
In Kerala, there are 160 seats For BVSc&AH Course In Kerala Veterinary And Animal Sciences University,Pookode.
There are 152 Seats In 20 Subjects for Master Of Veterinary Science(Mvsc) Course and 49 seats for PhD course
Important institutions in India
|Name of the institution
|Indian Veterinary Research Institute (only PG,PhD and diploma courses)
|Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
|Guru Angad Dev Veterinary And Animal Sciences (GADVASU)
|Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences Universityi
|Mumbai Veterinary College
Institutions under Kerala Veterinary And Animal Sciences University
|Name of the institution
|ICollege of Dairy Sciences and Technology - Kolahalamedu
|College of Avian Sciences and Management - Thiruvazhamkunnu
|College of Dairy Sciences and Technology - Chettachal
|College of Dairy Sciences and Technology - Mannuthy
|College of Food Technology - Thumburmuzhy Chalakudy
|College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences - Mannuthy
|College of Dairy Sciences and Technology - Pookode
|College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences - Pookode
Questions & Answers
Q) What is the scope of BVSc ?
A) BVSc is a highly pursued course among students who have a knack for animal care and research. Students are trained about various aspects required to become a veterinarian and have a career in veterinary science.
The common employment areas are animal hospitals, animal care clinics, grooming centres, animal research institutes, and others.
Other than veterinarian, you can also become a veterinary technician, veterinary surgeon, animal breeder, animal science researcher, animal care social worker, and others.
In terms of higher education, you can pursue many master degrees in the field of veterinary science such as MVSc, followed by PhD degree.
After BVSc ,you can also opt for Civil Services examination and also for MBA in institutes like IIMs and IRMA.
Q) Why study BVSc ?
A) Veterinary Science is a branch of science that deals with the causes, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases and injuries of animals, especially domestic animals.
The course teaches students to prevent, treat and care for the animals by incorporating veterinary medicine and the concepts & knowledge of biochemistry, animal science and animal nutrition.
If you share a love for animals and want to make a respectful career treating and caring for animals, then BVSc is a perfect course for you.
There is a huge scope of this course in India since there is a massive need for veterinary doctors and consultants in various setups, be it government institutes or private sectors. The demand of this course is huge and of varied diversities.
After graduating this course, students have an option of becoming a veterinarian and get employment in areas such as Zoological Gardens, Natural reserves like National parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries, various animal husbandry farms like dairy and poultry farms, veterinary hospitals, and government departments for animal care.