Polymer Engineering deals with the synthesis, characterization, testing, product design & manufacturing of polymeric materials. Eg. plastics, rubber and fibers. It’s a relatively new area in engineering with a lot of career opportunities in industries, research institutions and academia.
The polymer engineering field requires a good understanding of chemistry, physics and mathematics. Course will mostly cover:
- Characterization and testing techniques.
- Compounding of polymers.
- Manufacturing process of polymeric materials like plastics, synthetic rubber and fibers from its basic monomeric units.
- Polymer physics.
- Polymer products design and development.
- Polymer products manufacturing, applications and testing.
- Structure/property relationship of Polymeric materials.
Under Graduate Courses in Polymer Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Polymer Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Polymer Science and Chemical Technology
- Bachelor of Technology in Polymer Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Polymer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Polymer Science and Chemical Technology
B.E / B.Tech (Bachelor of Engineering / Bachelor of Technology) is the professional undergraduate course offered in different specializations, with slight differences in course contents / focus areas. Polymer Engineering/Polymer Technology/ Polymer Chemistry/Polymer Science/Plastic Technology/Rubber Technology are these options available in different institutions.
Usually BTech is 4 years after +2. Students passed +2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics are eligible to pursue BE /B Tech in Polymer Engineering. For those who have completed Diploma in Engineering, there is an option to get Lateral entry to second year of BE / B Tech and complete the course in 3 years.
Post Graduate Courses in Polymer Engineering
- Master of Technology in Polymer Nano Technology
- Master of Technology in Polymer Technology
Once 4-year BE / BTech is successfully completed, post graduation could be pursued in M.E / M.Tech, which are available with various specializations like polymer technology, plastics Technology, Plastics and Rubber Technology; Polymer Nanotechnology etc. The duration of the course is 2 years (4 semesters).
Some of the IITs and many public and private institutions offer these courses.
Ph.D in Polymer Science and Technology
The skills required for engineering include:
- Ability to work as team
- Analytical & Creative thinking
- Application of the knowledge in Mathematics and Science.
- Communication Skill – Verbal and written
- Familiarity with Industry Standards
- Leadership Skills
- Logical Thinking, Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
The basic eligibility requirement for admissions to any BTech programme is:
- Candidates must have passed Class 10+2 exam from a recognised board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as core subjects.
- They must also have secured a minimum aggregate mark of 60% in the above subjects combined.
The eligibility criteria may vary from institute to institute.
JEE ADVANCED: A national-level entrance exam conducted for providing admissions in the engineering programs in IITs. The seven zonal IITs conduct the exam under the guidance of Joint Admission Board (JAB) for admission into Bachelor’s, Integrated Masters and Dual Degree programs for all the IITs.
JEE MAIN: A national level entrance exam conducted for providing admissions to the undergraduate engineering courses in top engineering institutes in India like National Institutes of Technology, IIITs and the Govt funded Technical Institutes.
State Level Engineering College admission is based on state level entrance exams, for example:
- Andhra Pradesh (APEAMCET)
- Karnataka Common Entrance Test (KCET)
- Kerala Engineering Agriculture and Medicine (KEAM)
- Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MHT CET)
- Tamil Nadu Professional Courses Entrance Examination (TNPCEE)
For most state level entrance examinations, 50% weightage is given for Board Exam marks.
A polymer engineer can find jobs in various functions of companies dealing with the development, manufacturing, testing or trading of plastics, rubber, fibers, paint, adhesive, textiles materials and products. Some of the entry level jobs are listed here. With experience and additional credentials one can reach to the top of the organization.
- Application Development Engineer
- Plant Manager
- Polymer Characterisation Specialist
- Polymer Lab Engineer
- Polymer Material Scientist
- Product Design Engineer
- Product Development Engineer
- Production Engineer
- QA / QC Engineer
- Research Scientist
- Technical Sales Engineer
Polymer engineering graduates are in demand in several private and public sector companies. Several companies recruit engineers in various capacities. Here are some examples of top companies recruiting BE/BTech/ME/MTech graduates in Polymer Engineering.
- 3M India
- Apollo Tyres
- Asian Paints
- BASF India
- CEAT Tyres
- JK Tyres
- MRF Tyres
- Reliance Industries
- SRF Limited
Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) are the most prestigious institutes. IIT Delhi & Mumbai are offering Polymer Engineering courses.
Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTI) There are 23 GFTIs with a total intake of over 9,000 seats for BTech.
Polymer Engineering courses are also available in many State Government Engineering Colleges, Aided Engineering Colleges and Self-Financing Engineering Colleges.
Before joining a course, please ensure that the course in the given institution is approved by AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education).
Some top ranking colleges offer Polymer Engineering include:
- Central Institute of Plastic Engineering & Technology, Chennai, Bhubaneswar, Ahmedabad.
- Cochin University of Science & Technology (CUSAT), Ernakulam.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, Delhi.
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai.
- Kolkata University, Kolkata.
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai.
|Institutions in Kerala offering B.Tech Polymer Engineering|
|Name of the Institution||District|
|CUSAT, Dept. of PS & RT||Ernakulam|
|University College of Engineering||Idukki|
|School of Technology and Applied Science||Kottayam|
|IET Kohinoor Engineering||Malappuram|
|Institutions offering B.Tech Polymer Engineering|
|Institutions offering B.Tech Polymer Science and Chemical Technology|
|Institutions offering B. E. Polymer Engineering|
|Institutions offering B. E. Polymer Science and Chemical Technology|
|Institutions in Kerala offering M.Tech Polymer Technology|
|Institutions offering M.Tech Polymer Nano Technology|
|Name of the Institution|
|Biju Patnaik University of Technology|
|Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology|
|Institutions offering M.Tech Polymer Technology|
|Institutions offering M. E. Polymer Technology|
|Name of the Institution|
|Birla Institute of Technology|
|Maharashtra Institute of Technology|
|University of Delhi|
|University of Pune|
|Institutions offering Ph.D Polymer Science and Technology|
|Name of the Institution|
|Cochin University of Science & Technology (CUSAT)|
|University of Mumbai|
|University of Delhi|
Only a limited number of seats are available for Polymer engineering course in most of the colleges. Admissions are usually done on the basis of entrance exams.
Questions & Answers
Q) What are the job prospects of Polymer Engineers?
A) Polymer Engineers are preferred in various functions in plastic, rubber, paint, tyre, adhesive, sealants & fiber industries. As these products find applications in growing industries like automotive, aerospace, building & construction, energy etc. there is growing demand for highly qualified polymer engineers.
Q) What are the higher studies and research options in polymer engineering?
A) Post graduate programs are available in specialized areas like polymeric nanotechnology in India. Various other specializations are available in foreign universities in the US and Europe. There is wide scope for research programs in esteemed research institutions in India and abroad. Candidates with specialized qualifications and research experience can get into top notch companies with very high remuneration and growth prospects.
Q) What are the job opportunities for polymer engineers in GCC countries?
A) There are many big companies in GCC who recruit polymer engineers at various job levels. Top recruiters are SABIC, TASNEE, SADARA, QAPCO, EQUATE etc. Most of these companies prefer expats with BTech/MTech/PhD in
Polymer and relevant industry experience. Typically they don’t prefer fresher expats. Typical positions are in R&D, Quality, Technical marketing and manufacturing functions.