Integrated BSc MSc
Course Name: M.Sc Integrated- (specialisation)
Degree Awarded: Postgraduate degree
Minimum Qualification for Admission: Class XII
Course Duration: 4 to 5 years
Advantages of M.Sc Integrated Courses
If you are one of the students who have a question that why you should pursue M.Sc.course then here is the answer to your queries:
- course gives you an option to pursue a degree equivalent to postgraduate soon after the completion of Class XII.
- Regular M.Sc course requires you to complete a B.Sc. course before you enrol for the M.Sc degree programme. To get admission in one of the best M.Sc.College after B.Sc. demands a good score in the relevant entrance examination. However, the Integrated M.Sc course gives you an option to complete an M.Sc equivalent course without taking a gap between an undergraduate and postgraduate course. You need not plan for B.Sc and M.Sc courses separately
- Syllabus of both B.Sc. and M.Sc.course is covered in a single integrated program.
Course Fee Structure
Fees structure for M.Sc. Integrated courses may varies institute-wise. The average fees for M.Sc. Integrated courses can range between INR 75,000 to 85,000 per year in private colleges. Government Institute annual fees from INR 20,000 to 25,000.
- Candidates must have passed Class XII from a recognised board.
- Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English must be subjects studied in Class XII.
- Candidates must have scored at least 60% average (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English) in Class XII and X.
- Candidates must also meet the age criteria defined by a specific institute.
AUCET – Andhra University Common Entrance Test: A state-level entrance exam conducted by Andhra University
CUCET – The Central Universities Common Entrance Test: An all India test is being organized for admission to various Integrated/Under-Graduate, Post Graduate and Research Programmes in several Central Universities and State Universities of India.
JEE ADVANCED: A national-level entrance exam conducted for providing admissions in the engineering programs in IITs. The seven zonal IITs conduct the exam under the guidance of Joint Admission Board (JAB) for admission into Bachelor’s, Integrated Masters and Dual Degree programs for all the IITs.
JEE MAIN: A national level entrance exam conducted for providing admissions to the undergraduate engineering courses in top engineering institutes in India like National Institutes of Technology, IIITs and the Govt funded Technical Institutes.
NEST – The National Entrance Screening Test: An entrance examination conducted for admission into the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar and the Center for Excellence in Basic Sciences, Mumbai.
YVU CET – Yogi Vemana University Common Entrance Test: A postgraduate level entrance examination conducted by Yogi Vemana University.
Some universities accept admission for M.Sc integrated course admission on merit- basis i.e marks obtained in Class XII. The candidate must meet the minimum eligibility criteria as defined by the institute to be considered for admission.
Such Universities or Institutes usually release the application form. Candidates must fill in the application online/ offline and also submit relevant documents to be considered for admission.
There are various colleges/ institutes/universities in India that offer M.Sc. Integrated course.
Top Colleges for Integrated M.Sc in India:
Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI): A centre of excellence for teaching and research in the mathematical sciences. Founded in 1989 as part of the SPIC Science Foundation, it has been an autonomous institute since 1996.
The research groups in Mathematics and Computer Science at CMI are among the best known in the country. The Institute has nurtured an impressive collection of PhD students.
In 1998, CMI took the initiative to bridge the gap between teaching and research in India by starting BSc and MSc programmes in Mathematics and allied subjects. Students who have graduated from CMI have gone on to join leading institutions throughout the world.
CMI offers the following six-semester courses leading to BSc (Honours) degrees.
- BSc (Honours) in Mathematics and Computer Science
- BSc (Honours) in Mathematics and Physics
The BSc (Honours) Mathematics and Computer Science curriculum covers basic and advanced undergraduate courses in Mathematics. The programme also includes a number of courses on fundamental topics in Computer Science, including the design and analysis of algorithms, programming languages and computability theory. The courses are taught by active researchers in mathematics and computer science who draw on their professional expertise to offer new insights into the subject material.
The BSc (Honours) Mathematics and Physics programme has the same core content in Mathematics as the BSc (Honours) Mathematics and Computer Science programme. The Computer Science component of the BSc (Honours) Mathematics and Computer Science is substituted by an equivalent number of Physics courses in classical mechanics, electrodynamics, thermodynamics, optics and quantum mechanics.
Central University (CU): Also known as union universities in India are established by an Act of Parliament and are under the purview of the Department of Higher Education in the Union Human Resource Development Ministry. General universities in India are recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC), which draws its power from the University Grant Commission Act 1956 . In addition, 15 Professional Councils are established, controlling different aspects of accreditation and coordination. Central universities, in addition, are covered by the Central Universities Act, 2009, which regulates their purpose, powers, governance etc., and established 12 new universities. The list of central universities published by the UGC lists 50 central universities, as of 1 November 2019, nine of which are directly funded by the Government of India and are not under the purview of the UGC. There are several Universities offering Integrated MSc Courses under CU. Details are given below:
|Integrated Sciences||B.Sc., M.Sc.||Karnataka|
|Integrated MSc||Geology||Karnataka||Integrated M.Sc.||Physics||TamilNadu|
|Integrated B.Sc. M.Sc.||Biotechnology||Kashmir|
|Integrated B.Sc M.Sc.||Physics||Kashmir|
|Integrated B.Sc. M.Sc.||Zoology||Kashmir|
|Integrated M.Sc.||Computer Science||Rajasthan|
|Integrated MSc.||Environmental Science||Rajasthan|
|Integrated M.Sc||Life Sciences||TamilNadu|
|Integrated B.Sc. Mathematics||Mathematics||TamilNadu|
|Integrated MSc||Geology||Karnataka||Integrated M.Sc.||Physics||TamilNadu|
Admission to these courses through the Entrance Test called Central University Common Entrance Test (CUCET).
CUSAT or Cochin University of Science & Technology: An autonomous government university in Cochin offering undergraduate, post-graduate and doctoral level courses in the field of applied science, technology, industry and commerce like B.Tech (all disciplines), Five Year Integrated M.Sc, MA, 5 year LLB Hons, LLM, MBA, MCA, M.Tech, MA Applied Economics, Post -Graduate programs, Lateral Entry for B.Tech, Diploma Certificates courses, M.Phil & PhD.
Admission Procedure Details:
Admissions are strictly based on the performance in the Common Admission Test and personal interview
CUSAT provides following MSc Integrated Courses
- MSc Photonics
- MSc Physics
- MSc Chemistry
- MSc Mathematics
- MSc Statistics
Eligibility – Photonics; Pass in Plus Two examination of the State of Kerala with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as optional subject or any other examination accepted as equivalent thereto securing a minimum of 50% marks in Mathematics and 50% marks in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry put together.
MSc P/C/M/S: Candidates with a minimum of 75% marks at +2 level of education (Intermediate/CBSE/ICSE/HSC and all State Boards or Equivalent with science subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics) are eligible to apply. The programs are open to all students who have completed / expect to complete +2 stages with at least three of the four subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics) as their optional subjects with a minimum of 75% at +2 level.
Delhi University (DU): A premier university of the country with a venerable legacy and international acclaim for highest academic standards, diverse educational programmes, distinguished faculty, illustrious alumni, varied co-curricular activities and modern infrastructure. Over the many years of its existence, the University has sustained the highest global standards and best practices in higher education. Its long-term commitment to nation building and unflinching adherence to universal human values are reflected in its motto: ‘Nishtha Dhriti Satyam’ (Dedication, Steadfastness and Truth).
Established in 1922 as a unitary, teaching and residential University by the Act of the then Central Legislative Assembly, a strong commitment to excellence in teaching, research and social outreach has made the University a role-model and trend setter for other universities. The President of India is the Visitor, the Vice-President is the Chancellor and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India is the Pro-Chancellor of the University. Beginning with three colleges and 750 students, it has grown as one of the largest universities in India with 16 faculties, over 80 academic departments, an equal number of colleges and over seven lakh students. Over 500 programmes offered by the University are approved by Academic and Executive Councils, out of which 209 programmes are being considered for NAAC accreditation purpose. The rest being run in colleges are separately accredited.
The Faculty of Science of DU offers an integrated programme on Geology, BSc. Hons- MSc Geology.
Candidates who have passed the 10+2 in sciences will be considered eligible for admission to the ten-Semester Integrated (B.Sc. Hons. Geology) – (M.Sc. Geology) Course. The cut-off for the candidates from IIT-JEE will be 5% less. The Integrated (B.Sc. Hons. Geology) – (M.Sc. Geology) Course shall be imparted to the students for five academic sessions consisting of ten semesters as given below. Candidates will be examined and evaluated at the end of each semester in the different courses of theory including internal assessment, and practical (wherever applicable). The Integrated (B.Sc. Hons. Geology) – (M.Sc. Geology) Course will consist of (a) Core Courses and (b) Optional Courses. Optional papers may also be taken as Interdisciplinary courses from other departments.
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER): The Government of India has established IISERs at Berhampur, Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali, Pune, Thiruvananthapuram and Tirupati to integrate and promote interdisciplinary science education and research. Over the years IISERs have been successfully attracting talented young minds. An overarching goal of the IISERs is to enable students to shape the nation by inventing and implementing sustainable solutions for societal problems through research in science. This is being achieved by our faculty of international repute together with bright students. In a short span of time IISERs have generated an incredible amount of intellectual property in the form of publications and patents.
BS and BS-MS Dual Degree Program
Five-year dual degree program for science students
Classroom learning integrated with research, providing ample scope for interdisciplinary activities
Curriculum with a focus on both breadth and depth in sciences, engineering sciences and economics
Opportunity to pursue impactful research
Fully residential campuses with well-equipped hostels
Access to on-campus medical, sports and other recreational facilities
Programmes offered in:
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Data Science
- Earth & Climate Sciences/Earth & Environmental Sciences
- Economic Sciences#
- Engineering Sciences (Chemical Engineering, Data Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science)#
- Geological Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Physical Sciences
Four-year BS program in Engineering Sciences and Economics only at IISER Bhopal.
- Highly competent and motivated faculty with passion for teaching and pursuing research in frontier areas of science
- Integrated undergraduate teaching and cutting-edge research
- Exposure and access to world-class research facilities right from the start of the program
- Research internships and year-long research projects leading to MS thesis with opportunities for interdisciplinary research.
Performance Criteria In CLASS XII (OR Equivalent) Board Examination For IISER ADMISSION
- The candidate must have marks within the category-wise cut-off as shown in the table above for their respective Class XII (or equivalent) Board examination for being eligible to get admission to IISERs. Additionally, for admission to engineering programmes through JEE advanced channel, candidates who have secured 75% marks (GEN/EWS/OBC-NCL) or 65% marks (SC/ST/PwD) in their Class XII (or equivalent) exams are also eligible.
- For candidates who appeared in the Class XII (or equivalent) Board examination for the first time and reappeared in any subject (for whatsoever reason) in next year, the better of two performances will be considered.
- If a Board gives aggregate marks considering both Class XI and Class XII examinations (in the 10+2 system), then only Class XII marks will be considered. If a Board gives aggregate marks considering the results of all three years of a 3-year diploma or courses of equivalent duration, then only the marks scored in the final year will be considered. Similarly, for boards which follow a semester system, the marks scored in the final two semesters will be considered.
- In case any of the subjects Mathematics or Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Language are not evaluated in the final year (e.g., in a 3-year diploma course), then the marks for the same subject from the previous year(s) will be used for calculating the percentage of aggregate marks.
- If a Board awards only letter grades without providing an equivalent percentage of marks on the grade -sheet, the candidate should obtain a certificate from the Board specifying the equivalent marks and submit it before the deadline of the mark-sheet submission. In case such a certificate is not provided by the Board, meeting minimum eligibility criteria will be assessed as follows: If CGPA/CPI is reported on any scale other than 10 (for example, 4 points or 8 points scale), an equivalent CGPA/CPI will be calculated as per the following formula: CGPA/CPI in a 10 point scale = (CGPA/CPI Obtained×10)/PS. Finally, the marks will be linearly scaled out of 500. (Here PS stands for Point scale used by the Board).
- If a Board does not give marks/grades scored in individual subjects but gives only the aggregate marks/grades, then the aggregate marks/grades given by the Board will be considered as such (linearly scaled out of 500 if the total marks are not out of 500).
- Candidates from any board other than the State and Central Boards can apply only through JEE-Advanced and KVPY channels provided that they also satisfy the eligibility criteria as specified by JEE-Advanced or KVPY, as the case may be. Such candidates should either bring a certificate from their respective board that they are within top 20 percentile of their board or else cut-off scores for CBSE board will be applied for them. Additionally, for admission to engineering programmes through JEE advanced channel, candidates who have secured 75% marks (GEN/EWS/OBC-NCL) or 65% marks (SC/ST/PwD) in their Class XII (or equivalent) exams are also eligible.
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST): Situated at Thiruvananthapuram is a Deemed to be University under Section 3 of the UGC Act 1956. IIST functions as an autonomous body under the Department of Space, Government of India. The idea of such an institute was mooted keeping in mind the need for high quality manpower for the Indian Space Research Organization, one of world’s leading scientific organizations engaged in space research and space applications. The institute is the first of its kind in the country, to offer high quality education at the undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and post-doctoral levels on areas with special focus to space sciences, space technology and space applications.
IIST offers various undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in areas that are relevant to space studies. The institute currently offers two B.Tech courses in Aerospace Engineering and Avionics and a Dual Degree (B. Tech + Master of Science/ M. Tech) programme with B.Tech in Engineering Physics and any of the following Postgraduate specializations – (i) Master of Science (Astronomy & Astrophysics) (ii) M.Tech (Earth System Science) (iii) Master of Science (Solid State Physics) and (iv) M.Tech (Optical Engineering). Admissions to these branches are merit based and intake is based on the Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) conducted by IITs, as per the guidelines set by IIST. The major feature of the undergraduate program is the liberal offer of assistantship to meritorious students, rendering the education “completely free”, subject to the students securing a stipulated minimum academic requirement. As performance based financial assistance is provided by DOS to the B.Tech students of IIST, ISRO/DOS will have the first right to absorb them, subject to the vacancies notified by ISRO in that particular discipline and year for IIST graduates.
In the Dual Degree programme the student receives a B.Tech. degree in Engineering Physics and Master of Science / Master of Technology in one of the following four streams at the end of ten semesters:
- Master of Science in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Master of Science in Solid State Physics
- Tech. in Earth System Science
- Tech. in Optical Engineering
Students will be allotted their postgraduate streams at the end of the sixth semester based on their preference and academic performance upto sixth semester. The seat matrix specifying minimum and/ or maximum for each of the streams will be notified to the students during the sixth semester.
An institute of higher education deemed to be a university located in New Delhi, India. It is a government-funded university. Established in 1989, was formally inaugurated by the then Prime Minister of India Shri Rajiv Gandhi on August 1, 1989. In 2019 it was awarded the Institute of Eminence status by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
B.Sc and M.Sc Integrated in Biochemistry is five years (ten semesters) full-time Integrated course offered by the School of Chemical and Life Sciences at the Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi.
Selection will be made on the basis of merit of the first five subjects in qualifying examination.
The student will have an exit option after the sixth semester. In such cases, the candidate will be awarded B.Sc. Honors degree in the respective subject of study chosen by him/ her.
A candidate seeking admission to the BSc-MSc Integrated program must have passed Senior Secondary (12th / Intermediate) examination with Biology/ Mathematics from CBSE or any other Board recognized by JH as equivalent thereto, securing at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA in aggregate.
Indian Statistical Institute (ISI): A unique institution devoted to research and teaching, and the applications of Statistics in the Natural and Social Sciences. The Headquarters of ISI is located in Kolkata and additionally, there are four centres located in Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai and Tezpur.
Indian Statistical Institute offers several under-graduate, post-graduate and doctoral degree programmes. The bachelor’s and master’s programmes in Statistics, popularly known as B.Stat. and M.Stat., are flagship programmes of the institute which are internationally acclaimed.
National Institute of Science Education And Research (NISER): Established by the Department of Atomic Energy, strives to become a citadel for basic sciences and allied subjects in terms of teaching and research. Its vision includes imparting high-quality science education in a vibrant academic ambience to the bright, motivated students, by a faculty of distinguished scientists and teachers. The curriculum is amply supported by a strong visitor’s programme by accomplished scientists from India and abroad.
NISER offers 5 year integrated M.Sc. programme in Biological, Chemical, Mathematical and Physical sciences. NISER functions from its own campus at Jatni. Degrees at NISER will be awarded by the Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), a deemed-to-be University within the Department of Atomic Energy.
Admission through entrance test called NEST.
Indian Institute of Science (IISc): Established in 1909, IISc is India’s leading institution of advanced education and research in the sciences and in engineering. From its beginnings, IISc has laid equal emphasis on fundamental investigations and the solution of practical problems in such a setting.
IISc has a vibrant and diverse campus spread over 440 acres of greenery in the city of Bengaluru, formerly Bangalore, India’s hub of high-technology companies (in aerospace, electronics, and information technology), educational and research institutions, and numerous start-ups.
IISc aims to be among the world’s foremost academic institutions through the pursuit of excellence in research and promotion of innovation by offering world-class education to train future leaders in science and technology and by applying science and technology breakthroughs for India’s wealth creation and social welfare.
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore offers admission to its four-year Bachelor of Science (Research) Programme. Students who will appear for the 12th standard board examination (or equivalent) and those who have passed this examination in the previous year are eligible to apply for admission to this Programme.
The Bachelor of Science (Research) Programme
- A sound exposure of all students to the fundamentals of scientific, mathematical and engineering principles takes place in the first 3 semesters (1.5 years). Teaching of these core courses includes strong components of laboratory demonstration and hands-on experimental work.
- After the first 3 semesters the students opt for a specialization (Major). The specializations on offer are: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Materials and Earth & Environmental Science.
- The allowed student strengths of all the specializations are about the same.
- All Major streams are interdisciplinary in character. While a student specializes in a stream, he/she also broadens his/her knowledge and skill by taking about 30% of the courses from other streams. This combination of courses is listed in his/her final transcript.
- The students are free to choose their specialization and combination of courses.
- The students do a research project in the area of their specialization in the final two semesters of the course. All the inquiry skills developed in the first 7 semesters are used to frame questions, creatively explore answers and communicate this coherently to both learned and uninitiated audiences.
- One full year of participation in a research project identifies the Bachelor of Science (Research) programme as a uniquely research based one. Such research based interdisciplinary undergraduate programmes are well suited to meet the present vocational and post-graduate requirements of the modern world.
- Students who complete all the requirements for the award of the Bachelor of Science (Research) degree have the option of getting a Master of Science degree by studying at IISc for a fifth year.
University of Hyderabad (UoH): A Central University established by an Act of Parliament (1974), is a Unitary University situated at Gachibowli Hyderabad. We do not have any Study Centres or branches or Campuses or Affiliated Colleges elsewhere. UoH, one of the major institutions of higher education in India is largely devoted to postgraduate studies and is widely known for its excellence in research and for its distinguished faculty.
The University has built up a reputation for providing high quality academic training, and has been recognized through a number of awards: PURSE, given by the Prime Minister of India, a grading of A, which is the highest, by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). The University is counted among the top 100 in Asia in many of its academic areas of study.
Admission to the University is open to all who fulfill the prescribed qualifications without any distinction of race, creed, language or gender. The selection is on the basis of the entrance examination. The candidate should produce all original certificates at the time of admission. Any student to be eligible for admission to the Postgraduate Degree Courses must have completed a three-year Undergraduate Degree, through an examination conducted by a University/ Autonomous College. However, as a transitory measure, a candidate who has passed a two-year degree course may also be considered for admission, provided she/he has undergone a further one-year bridge course and passed the same.
UoH offers M.Sc.(5 year Integrated) Programme in following streams.
- Mathematical Science
- Chemical Sciences
- Systems Biology
- Optometry & Vision Sciences
- Health Psychology
- Earth Sciences
- Applied Geology
- 5 year Integrated M Tech in Computer Scienc