Graduate Aptitude Test in (GATE)
GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is the national level entrance examination for the admission into the Masters Programs, Master of Engineering (ME), Master of Technology (MTech) and direct PhD admission of various institutes. This examination primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in engineering and science.
Admissions to Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and other institutes/universities across India are based on the GATE. The exam is jointly conducted by IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, IIT Roorkee and Indian Institute for Science, Bangalore (IISC Bangalore), on a rotational basis on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB – GATE), Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource & Development (MHRD), Government of India.
The eligibility to take GATE exam:
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering / Technology / Architecture (4 years after 10+2/ 10+2+3(ongoing)/ 10+2+4(ongoing)/ Post-B.Sc./ Post-Diploma) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Candidates in the second or higher year of Four-year integrated master’s degree programs (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering / Technology.
- Candidates in the fourth or higher year of Five-year integrated master’s degree programs or Dual Degree programs in Engineering / Technology.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UGC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by IE(India), AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers (India)-ICE(I), AMIETE By IETE(India)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech.
Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
There is no age limit to appear in GATE