Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)
One of the most demanded professions all over the world is teaching.Teaching is a noble profession.The profession of teaching is challenging and demanding one. In our country, a large part of the population belongs to the students category. The ratio between qualified teachers for students is not sufficient.This is the main reason behind the rising demand for teachers in India.
Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) is a professional training course that enables one to pursue a career in teaching after the completion of an undergraduate degree program. The B.Ed degree is necessary for teaching at the secondary and higher secondary divisions. The B.Ed course duration is typically two years with four semesters.This course can also be commonly known as Bachelor of Training or Shiksha Shastri.
B.Ed. course makes an individual, skilled in the efficient teaching of subjects based on accepted principles of learning and teaching. It develops our skills and widens our understanding so that we can impart quality education to our students. Teaching provides job satisfaction, job security, high earnings and a flexible schedule. After B.Ed., students can pursue a Master in Education (M.Ed.) in Indian universities.
The main subjects studied in the B.Ed course are:
- Education, Culture and Human Values
- Educational Evaluation and Assessment
- Educational Psychology
- Guidance and Counselling
- Holistic Education
- Philosophy of Education
There are a number of colleges offering B.Ed courses through distance education like IGNOU, NSOU, LSR and others.
Following are the skills required for teaching profession:
- Good communication skills
- Good organisation skills
- Interdisciplinary Approach
- Quick Learner
- Candidates need to have completed their graduation (different university has different criteria, Kindly check the university websites)
- One can also join a B.Ed degree after pursuing a master’s degree.
- Most popular B.Ed colleges allow candidates to take part in their admission process for B.Ed courses if they have graduated with at least 50-55% aggregate marks at the UG level.
- In Majority of colleges, there is no age bar. However, the admission process of some B.Ed colleges require candidates to be minimum 19 years in age.
For the admission process, most of the colleges and universities offer their own entrance examinations. Some universities conduct common entrance tests for the institutions under them. There are many colleges completing thier admission process by considering the undergraduate degree aggrigate marks.
Entrance exams are generally held in the month of June-July and consist of Objective type questions about English, General Knowledge, Aptitude, Basic Arithmetic Teaching Potential and one local language in some states. The results of these exams are generally out by July/Aug. Candidates go through practical training courses, apart from theory classes.
Some of the B.Ed entrance examinations are mentioned below:
- DU Entrance Examination
- Guru Nanak Dev University Entrance Examination
- IGNOU B.Ed
- JMI B.Ed
- Mumbai University Entrance Examination
- Punjab Entrance exam
- Content Writer
- Content writer
- Education Consultant
- Education Departments
- Education Researcher
- Online Tutor
- Private Tutor
- Publishing House
- School Teachers
- Vice Principal
- Government and Private Schools
- National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT)
- National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA)
National level universities/institutions:
|Name of the university/institution||City|
|University of Calcutta||Kolkata|
|SNDT Women’s University||Mumbai|
|Central Institute of Education (Department of Education of the Delhi University)||New Delhi|
|Delhi University||New Delhi|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University(IGNOU)||New Delhi|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||New Delhi|
|Banaras Hindu University (BHU)||Varanasi|
Colleges in Kerala:
|Name of the institution||City|
|ST. Thomas College of Teacher Education - Pala||Kottayam|
|A.W.H.College of Education||Kozhikode|
|Farook Training College||Kozhikode|
|Govt. College of Teacher Education||Kozhikode|
|KMCT College of Teacher Education - Manasseri||Kozhikode|
|NSS Training College||Ottappalam|
|Kerala University of Teacher Education||Pathanamthitta|
|Keyi Sahib Training College||Taliparamba|