Career Options after MBBS
MBBS degree holders have the options to either continue in the medical field or deviate to a non medical sector.Doing post graduation in India or abroad is the most preferred option.Around 50,000 doctors are produced in India annually out of which around 1000 go abroad for further studies.
Following is a short orientation of medical /non medical options post MBBS.
1. Post Graduation in India: Specialisation and super specialisation courses are available for a duration of 3 years.
MD /MS/DIPLOMA COURSES &DNB – are the specialisation courses
SUPER SPECIALISATION(SECOND POST GRADUATION) DM/MCh
2. Post Graduation Abroad: Candidates should pass the Medical licensing Test applicable for that country.
Following are popular countries for PG programs:
- New Zealand
- Unites Arab Emirates (UAE)
- United Kingdom (UK)
3. Civil Services (IAS, IFS, IPS, IRS, IES): This is civil service for Indian administration and exam conducted by UPSC
4. CMS (Combined Medical Services): For recruitment under central government institutions like Railways, Indian ordnance services, Municipal corporation as medical officer. Exam conducted by UPSC every year. Permanent job with decent salary.
5. MHA – Master in Hospital Administration
6. MHA – Masters in Health Administration
7. M Tech – in Biomedical engineering and Biological science
8. MPH – Masters in Public Health
9. MMST – Masters in medical science and technology
10. Indian Armed Force – AIRFORCE/NAVY /ARMY: Only Indian nationals considered ,no written test , applied candidates are called for interview and should meet defense standards measurements. Age limit 45 years. AFMC Pune is the only medical college in India after which the cadets can be directly granted permanent commissioning
11. MBA after MBBS: MBA abroad – require language tests like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE and SOP /LOR
Popular foreign universities for MBA programs
12. Research after MBBS
13. M.Sc – Ph.D combined degree in biomedical sciences
14. Other Options: Working in primary health Centre, private hospital, own private practice, startup pharmacy diagnostics/medical device companies.Teacher for NEET pre medical coaching Centers, MedicalBlogging andJournalism, Insurance Agent Servicer Medical IT- Collaborating with engineers -career in medical IT companies, nanotechnology and medical robotics. Work in UNICEF/WHO-YIF- Young India Fellowship, job in Cruise or passenger ships. PG Diploma in medical law and ethics, sexologist, Clinical embryologist,Obesity and weight management.
15. Short term Diploma courses in many branches
16. Health Informatics and Analytics: In order to provide effective and efficient healthcare services to masses at large, capturing, storing, and analyzing data is crucial. This is where Health Informatics and Analytics courses can come in handy. Available either in the form of a diploma or degree programs.